“Operations is the most important part of doing your business,” says Joseph Powell. As the founder of TenDollarTutors.com and the creator of the ThinkSmart Whiteboard app, he knows firsthand the importance of operational excellence. In this episode, Joseph candidly shares the story of his roller-coaster tech journey and why he decided to step down as CEO of his company and serve as the COO instead. He also provides insights on the business infrastructure necessary to brace for change and stay the course during fast-growth.
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
- ThinkSmart Whiteboard: download Joseph’s collaborative Windows app for FREE.
- The Lean Startup: How Today’s Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businesses: a book by Eric Ries.
- Scribd: gain access to the world’s largest platform for the written word in the form of guides, forms, books, magazines, and more.
- Inc.: a business magazine featuring advice, tools, and services to help small businesses grow.
- Entrepreneur: a business magazine featuring stories about entrepreneurship, small business management, and business that provide insight, profiles, and guides for established and aspiring entrepreneurs worldwide.
- Shark Tank: a reality TV show where entrepreneurs can pitch their products to investors with the hope of securing lucrative business deals that enable them to scale.
- NY Times: a premier newspaper offering breaking news and award-winning reviews and opinions business, politics, education, travel, books, jobs, education, and more.
- Quora: an online Q&A platform where members can ask questions and “connect with people who contribute unique insights and quality answers.
Watch Joseph and TenDollarTutors.com in action in this local Atlanta TV feature:
Learn more about the ThinkSmart Whiteboard app:
- Episode 014: Dispelling 4 Common Entrepreneur Myths About Business Growth
- Episode 089: Understanding the Value of COOs with Bill Shepard
- Episode 090: Debunking COO Myths with Maria Jones
Like What You Heard? Please Leave a Review on Apple Podcasts.
Subscribe for FREE on Your Favorite Podcast Platform
More About Guest, Joseph Powell:
Joseph Powell is the Founder & COO of Ten Dollar Tutors – a revolutionary “Uber for tutors” company based in Atlanta, GA. He is a Computer Information Technology expert and Business Analyst with over eleven years’ experience in Web Development, Database Design, and Application Development. He uses practical computer knowledge with in-depth development on business, internet, and computer applications as well as analyses. Though Joseph has attended both Harvard University and MIT, perhaps his best education has come from the school of hard knocks – lessons learned only through the application of idea-to-implementation of various technologies.
More About Host, Alicia Butler Pierre:
Alicia Butler Pierre is the Founder & CEO of Equilibria, Inc. – a 15-year-old operations management consulting firm. Her career in operations began over 20 years ago while working in various chemical plants and oil refineries. She invented the Kasennu framework for business infrastructure and authored, Behind the Façade: How to Structure Company Operations for Sustainable Success. It is the world’s first published book on business infrastructure for small businesses. Alicia hosts the weekly Business Infrastructure podcast with a global audience across 35 countries.
More About Emcee, Jason Smith:
Jason Smith is the Founder of CIGRIE, LLC – a business development consulting firm specializing in campaign-based business development initiatives for small to medium businesses. He’s also a Senior Consultant with ASLAN Training & Development, helping clients to improve the way their teams sell. Jason hosts the Sales Synergistics podcast.