This Episode is Sponsored By:
Trillion-dollar companies aren’t built overnight. It takes a customer-centric model, a willingness to fail, and a relentless pursuit of innovation paired with operational excellence. No one knows this better than Tim Leslie. He’s the corporate law attorney turned former 20-year Amazon executive that led the expansion of Prime Video into 200 countries.
When Prime launched in 2005, it didn’t make a profit for five or six years. Now, it’s one of Amazon’s three greatest inventions alongside AWS and Marketplace.
In this episode (and his first-ever podcast interview), Tim shares the playbook he used to scale Prime Video. Specifically, he highlights the hiring strategy, turnkey processes, and other tools that made rapid expansion possible. He even addresses some of Amazon’s controversies and fills us in on his latest passion – working with small organic suppliers. Discover the A to Z of how to take an idea for a new service or product from a seed to a juggernaut!
Special Guest: Tim Leslie, Former 20-Year Amazon Executive; Co-Founder – Loving Roots; Consultant, Advisor, and Board Member
Location: Bellevue, WA USA
Air Date: Sept. 5, 2021
- Beetcoin.org: “the world’s first non-crypto, non-currency supporting organic farmers and local food.”
- Amazon Prime Video International: watch and enjoy movies, tv shows, and documentaries from around the world.
- Prime Video Direct: Amazon’s self-publishing service for independent studios, distributors, and filmmakers that assist them in reaching audiences worldwide.
- The Hard Thing About Hard Things: Building a Business When There are No Easy Answers: by Ben Horowitz.
- 10 Years to Midnight: Four Urgent Global Crises and Their Strategic Solutions: by Blair H. Sheppard.
- Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom: by Bell Hooks.
- The Inner Game of Tennis: The Classic guide to the Mental Side of Peak Performance: by Tim Gallwey.
- The Unsettling of America: Culture & Agriculture: by Wendell Berry.
- James Baldwin: a curated list of books by and about James Baldwin.
- Working Backwards: Insights, Stories, and Secrets from Inside Amazon: by Colin Bryar and Bill Carr.
- Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of Nike: by Phil Knight.
- Business Wars: FedEx vs. UPS: a highly engaging, seven-part episodic account of the battle between FedEx and UPS in the shipping industry and how Amazon rose to become a formidable contender.
- 14 Amazon Leadership Principles and Why They Matter: an article by Colin Baker for Leaders.com.
- Episode 057: The One Thing You Need to Know About Conscious Capitalism with Corey Blake
- Episode 132: How I Scaled and Sold Two Businesses to Fortune 500 Companies with Jeff Wald
- Episode 134: How I Scaled My Personal Brand & Became One of the World’s Top 50 Business Thinkers featuring Dorie Clark
- Episode 138: How I Scaled Outsource Global into Africa’s Top BPO Provider featuring Amal Hassan
- Episode 150: Diversity, Digital Transformation, and Becoming a CEO in Silicon Valley with Shellye Archambeau
- Episode 159: The Toyota Way for Achieving Operational Excellence: A Masterclass with Dr. Jeffrey K. Liker
Like What You Heard? Please Leave a Review on Apple Podcasts.
Subscribe for FREE Wherever You Listen to Podcasts, Including:
- Writer, Producer & Host: Alicia Butler Pierre
- Podcast Editor: Olanrewaju Adeyemo
- Video Editor: Gladys Jimenez
- Transcription: Outsource Global
- Sponsors: HubSpot, ThinkSmart Whiteboard
More About Guest, Tim Leslie:
Tim Leslie is a former 20-year Amazon executive and CEO who has led start-ups to multi-billion dollar businesses. He has extensive experience building, launching, and operating new businesses and products globally. Tim is also an experienced public speaker, media interviewee, and fundraiser. He now provides consultancy services and serves as a board member and advisor to companies (from startups to Fortune 100) and investors on e-commerce, international expansion, strategy, strategic partnerships, product-tech, media & entertainment, marketing, and law. Tim holds a Doctor of Law degree from Yale Law School as well as a Bachelor of Arts in Economics from Beloit College.
More About Host, Alicia Butler Pierre:
Alicia Butler Pierre is the Founder & CEO of Equilibria, Inc. Her career in operations began over 20 years ago while working as an engineer in various chemical plants and oil refineries. She invented the KasennuTM framework for business infrastructure and authored, Behind the Façade: How to Structure Company Operations for Sustainable Success. It is the world’s first published book on business infrastructure for small businesses. Alicia hosts the weekly Business Infrastructure podcast with a global audience across 53 countries.
More About Sponsor, HubSpot:
HubSpot offers a full platform of marketing, sales, customer service, and Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software — plus the methodology, resources, and support — to help businesses. Their CRM platform is powered by the same database, so everyone in your organization — Marketing, Sales, Service & Operations — is working off the same system of record. This allows for a smoother handoff between teams and results in a more delightful experience for your customers.
More About Sponsor, ThinkSmart Whiteboard:
Thinksmart Whiteboard is a Windows App that turns your Tablet PC into a shared whiteboard. It allows you to create a whiteboard on your computer screen, then allows other people to write onto your whiteboard, even if they are in another location! Learn more.