This Episode is Sponsored By:
Let’s be honest, talking about data (and business infrastructure) might not seem like the most exciting thing. Too often we associate these topics with machinery and not humans! That’s why Michiko Wolcott says we need to “De-tech the tech.” It’s the foundation for her success as a strategic consultant.
Michiko grew up in Japan. Although she was fluent in music and math, she knew little English when she and her family relocated to a small town in Alabama. She eventually learned the language, pursued advanced degrees in music and statistics, and discovered a new love – data. Now, she leverages data and analytics to achieve profitable breakthroughs for her clients.
That’s impressive considering 70% of data initiatives fail.
You might be surprised to hear a high-tech expert advocate for focusing on people first, then process, then technology. In this episode, Michiko shares how her refreshing approach enabled a company plagued with an overrun budget to complete 80% of its project goals in record time. Be inspired and ready to take action as you learn how to unlock the potential data and analytics can also have on your company’s operations.
Location: Palm Harbor, FL USA
Air Date: August 1, 2021
- Msight Analytics: the official website of Michiko’s company.
- Lean Thinking: Banish Waste and Create Wealth in Your Corporation: a book by James P. Womack and Daniel T. Jones.
- Out of the Crisis: a book by W. Edwards Deming.
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: a book by Stephen Covey.
- The International Council of Management Consulting Institutes (ICMCI): an international maangement consulting professional body comprised of individual, country-based Institutes of Management Consulting (IMCs) as members. These member organizations offer a network of advisors and consultants who adhere to professional standards and practices in management consulting. They offer a Certified Management Consultant (CMC) designation which indicates a member with the “…knowledge, competence, commitment and peer acceptance…” in delivering a high level of management consulting.
- Microsoft Visio: a flowcharting and diagramming software designed to assist in communicating ideas visually.
- Lucidchart: a web-based diagramming application that enables teams to quickly visualize and collaborate on processes, systems, and organizational structure.
- Google Analytics: a free Google tool that tracks and reports website traffic.
- Msight Analytics Video:
Dilbert Cartoon that Michiko Referenced:
- Episode 074: Love Hudson-Maggio’s Data Management Process
- Episode 108: Improving I.T. Project Delivery with Joseph Garfield
- Episode 111: Leading Data-Driven Improvements with Christine Yeager
- Episode 120: Let’s Visualize Data with Piktochart featuring Ai Ching Goh
Like What You Heard? Please Leave a Review on Apple Podcasts.
Subscribe for FREE Wherever You Listen to Podcasts, Including:
- Writer, Producer & Host: Alicia Butler Pierre
- Podcast Editor: Olanrewaju Adeyemo
- Transcription: Outsource Global
- Video Editor: Gladys Jimenez
- Sponsors: HubSpot, ThinkSmart Whiteboard
More About Guest, Michiko Wolcott:
Michiko is the Principal Consultant at Msight Analytics, a management consulting firm specializing in data and analytics effectiveness. A Certified Management Consultant (CMC®) backed by over 20 years of analytical project execution and delivery, she advises clients of all sizes to achieve their data and analytics aspirations, collaborating with both business and technical leaders.
She has worked globally in a wide variety of sectors, including financial services, media and communications, retail, healthcare, life sciences, NGOs, government agencies, and humanitarian response and disaster management, and speaks regularly at industry conferences and forums. Her prior responsibilities have included serving as the Lead Data Scientist at North Highland and leading the international analytics practice at Equifax as the Vice President of International Analytics.
Michiko holds a Master of Science degree in Statistics from Florida State University among other degrees from Florida State University and the Peabody Conservatory of the Johns Hopkins University, including a Doctor of Music degree in Piano Performance.
More About Host, Alicia Butler Pierre:
Alicia Butler Pierre is the Founder & CEO of Equilibria, Inc. Her career in operations began over 20 years ago while working as an engineer in various chemical plants and oil refineries. She invented the KasennuTM framework for business infrastructure and authored, Behind the Façade: How to Structure Company Operations for Sustainable Success. It is the world’s first published book on business infrastructure for small businesses. Alicia hosts the weekly Business Infrastructure podcast with a global audience across 53 countries. She’s also an Adjunct Professor of Operations Management, Lean Production, and Project Management at Nichols College’s MBA program in Dudley, MA.
More About Sponsor, HubSpot:
HubSpot offers a full platform of marketing, sales, customer service, and Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software — plus the methodology, resources, and support — to help businesses. Their CRM platform is powered by the same database, so everyone in your organization — Marketing, Sales, Service & Operations — is working off the same system of record. This allows for a smoother handoff between teams and results in a more delightful experience for your customers.
More About Sponsor, ThinkSmart Whiteboard:
Thinksmart Whiteboard is a Windows App that turns your Tablet PC into a shared whiteboard. It allows you to create a whiteboard on your computer screen, then allows other people to write onto your whiteboard, even if they are in another location! Learn more.