Tonia Morris noticed shifts in team makeup as she climbed the corporate ladder. Teams were composed of diverse generations which led to challenges and unleashed opportunities. Once she became an Executive VP of H.R., she felt reached a career plateau and eventually resigned. She later founded SimplyHR to address the issues caused by multiple generations in the workplace. Now, she’s known as the “Generational Connector.” In this episode, Tonia provides a blueprint for navigating communication hurdles caused by multiple generations and offers a process for leveraging technology to overcome them.
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
Air Date: April 25, 2021
- The Generational Connector YouTube channel
- Before You Say I Do to Entrepreneurship: What You Need to Know Before You Quit Your 9-to-5 Job: Tonia’s book.
- Teach:able: an online educational platform where subject matter experts can create online courses and coaching services and share them with the world. “Join more than 100,000 creators who’ve sold over $1 billion dollars in courses and coaching.”
- Compassion at Work: Creating Workplaces that Engage the Human Spirit – A Collection of Insights from Leading HR and OD Experts: a book that Tonia contributed to as a co-author.
- JazzHR: an online hiring platform designed to help businesses find and hire the right talent.
- Certified Diversity Practioner: a website by the Institute for Diversity Certification. “The Certified Diversity Professional (CDP)® credential indicates that a practitioner has the knowledge, skill, and ability to successfully execute day-to-day diversity and inclusion tasks. It is a professional qualification credential that is designed to enhance cultural competency and help an organization enrich its approach to inclusion.”
- Kajabi: a learning management system (LMS) designed to help subject matter experts take their ideas and “…turn them into polished high-value products.” It also integrates disparate technologies into one cohesive tool for seamless back-office operations and workflow.
- Asana: a web-based project and task management tool designed to help teams better organize, track, and manage their work.
- Zoom: a web-based tool that offers audio and video recording of webinars, conference calls, presentations, meetings, and more. Also includes screen sharing for enhanced collaboration.
- Loom: video recording software that can bring your whiteboarding or other demonstrations to life with your virtual team.
- Process.St: an online platform offering checklist and procedure templates to streamline recurring operations.
- Voxer: a walkie-talkie app enabling instant, real-time, and remote communications for teams on the go. Available for iOS (iPhone) and Android phones as well as the web.
- The Great Game of Business: The Only Sensible Way to Run a Company: a book by Jack Stack and Bo Burlingham
- Brandology: a podcast co-hosted by David Mauro and Mark Mosher that focuses on the leadership components necessary to build and sustain strong company brands.
- Behind the Facade: How to Structure Company Operations for Sustainable Success: a book by Alicia Butler Pierre. Ch. 8 provides detailed information on the differences between an Operations Manual and an Employee Manual as well as the differences between a process and a policy (as discussed during this episode).
HubSpot’s 2021 Diversity Report: download here or by clicking the image below.
- Episode 048: Automating Human Resource Compliance with Jason Cavness
- Episode 068: Anne Sugar’s Hiring to Scale Process
- Episode 101: Creating a Learning Culture to Enhance Operations with Jay Hassell
- Episode 127: Let’s Identify & Document Key Business Processes with Cornelius Dowdell
Like What You Heard? Please Leave a Review on Apple Podcasts.
Subscribe for FREE Wherever You Listen to Podcasts, Including:
- Producer & Host: Alicia Butler Pierre
- Podcast Editor: Olanrewaju Adeyemo
- Video Editor: Gladys Jimenez
- Transcription: Jodie Maquiran
- Sponsor: HubSpot
More About Guest, Tonia Morris:
Tonia Morris founded Simply HR, Inc. with a vision to be the #1 resource for connecting Generations in the Workplace. She is an accomplished Generational Connector Speaker and a Culture Disruptor with 25 years combined experience in Government, Information Technology, Retail, Financial Services, Manufacturing, and the Education sector.
Tonia brings innovative and practical solutions to clients looking to improve profitability, build a strong organizational culture and a Generational Inclusive workplace. Tonia has served as HR advisor on several mergers and acquisitions for Fortune 100 companies. She is known for turning Chaos into Structure.
Tonia was awarded the 2019 Stevie Business Award for “Maverick of the Year” for her work around Generational Inclusiveness.
She is certified as a Practitioner, DISC Facilitator, Myers Briggs, Executive Coach, and Mindset Coach. Tonia is a graduate of the University of South Florida with a BS in Business Administration. Tonia is a board member of the National Speakers Association, Georgia Chapter.
More About Host, Alicia Butler Pierre:
Alicia Butler Pierre is the Founder & CEO of Equilibria, Inc. Her career in operations began over 20 years ago while working as an engineer in various chemical plants and oil refineries. She invented the KasennuTM framework for business infrastructure and authored, Behind the Façade: How to Structure Company Operations for Sustainable Success. It is the world’s first published book on business infrastructure for small businesses. Alicia hosts the weekly Business Infrastructure podcast with a global audience across 53 countries.