Mohammad Ali may not float like a butterfly or sting like a bee, like the famous boxer by the same name, but he is a champion – a champion of operations. With over 37 years of combined experience as a high-ranking military official, chemical and industrial engineer, COO, and board member, he recognizes problem-solving as the cornerstone for continuous improvement. In fact, he started the first auto manufacturing company in Jordan. In this episode, Mohammad takes us on an A to Z tour of all things operations and explains why he believes, “If CEOs do not understand operations, they are bound to be replaced.”
Special Guest: Mohammad Ali Ajlouni, former COO – KADDB Investment Group
Location: Amman, Jordan
- Gemba Kaizen: A Commonsense Approach to a Continuous Improvement Strategy, Second Edition: a book by Masaaki Imai.
- Kaizen: The Key To Japan’s Competitive Success: a book by Masaaki Imai.
- Kaizen Institute: a membership-based, global professional organization with a mission to advance the continuous improvement (kaizen) body of knowledge. They do this through a combination of consulting, training, and certifications in over 60 countries.
- Factory Physics for Managers: How Leaders Improve Performance in a Post-Lean Six Sigma World: a book by Edward Pound, Jeffrey Bell, and Mark Spearman.
- Lean Enterprise Institute: a non-profit organization “…with a mission to make things better through lean thinking and practice.” They share information about lean principles and applications through workshops, books, articles, videos, and conferences.
- ProModel: a process simulation software that installs as a plug-in to MS Visio. Promodel “…allows you to design-in success, increase capacity, decrease costs, reduce cycle time, and test alternatives in a risk-free environment before committing capital and resources.”
- The KPI Institute: a research and membership-based organization that is recognized as a global leader in business performance. They operate research programs in 12 areas and disseminate insights through a variety of publications, subscriptions services, and aa knowledge platform available to registered members. They also operate smartKPIs.com.
- What is Emotional Intelligence?: learn more about EQ in this article by Psychology Today.
Watch this TEDx Talk on Emotional Intelligence by Dr. D. Ivan Young:
- Episode 021: Improving Quality in Healthcare Operations with Jarvis Gray
- Episode 073: Wes Graham’s Primer on Process Improvement
- Episode 091: Debunking COO Myths with Maria Jones
- Episode 096: Using Customer Intelligence to Improve Operations with Adam Hayes
Like What You Heard? Please Leave a Review on Apple Podcasts.
Subscribe for FREE on Your Favorite Podcast Platform
More About Guest, Mohammad Ali Ajlouni:
Mohammad Ali Ajlouni is an executive with over 37 years of diversified experience with a colorful spectrum of knowledge and practice that has combined together in a well-balanced, savvy, and harmonized blend of technical, financial, managerial and leadership competencies. He is a renowned figure in lean management and one of the earlier lean practitioners, educators, and thinkers in lean management in Jordan.
Additionally, Mohammad is an expert in operational excellence, discrete-event simulation and modeling, performance management, and financial and statistical analysis. He also has a proven record of successful and meaningful leadership and the ability to drive a new culture through his vast experience in all HR systems.
Mohammad currently focuses on mentoring and working with emerging entrepreneurs and leaders to support them in linking an innovative culture to strategy, marketing, and business development. He has a B.A. in Military Science, a B.S. in Chemical Engineering, and a Master of Science in Industrial Engineering.
More About Host, Alicia Butler Pierre:
Alicia Butler Pierre is the Founder & CEO of Equilibria, Inc. – a 15-year-old operations management consulting firm. Her career in operations began over 20 years ago while working in various chemical plants and oil refineries. She invented the Kasennu framework for business infrastructure and authored, Behind the Façade: How to Structure Company Operations for Sustainable Success. It is the world’s first published book on business infrastructure for small businesses. Alicia hosts the weekly Business Infrastructure podcast with a global audience across 35 countries.